Think you know all about French? You may be surprised. Check out these 40 Surprising Facts About French. Here are a few highlights:
* In the United States, French is the number four native language and the second most taught second language after Spanish.
* French is second only to English for the number of countries where it has official status – 32 as opposed to 45. And, with 56 members, La Francophonie is now larger than the Commonwealth, which has 53.
* French is also the only language, with English, that is taught in every country of the world, with 100 million students and 2 million teachers – 20 % of whom are outside of francophone countries.
* There are eight million Francophones living in North America, and most are descendants of only 10,000 original French colonists.
* Quebec is the United States’ 6th trading partner, and over half a million Americans work for French companies.
* The richest source of vocabulary in English actually derives, not directly from Latin, but from French.
Want More Information? Check out these links:
Which Language Is the Best to Learn? French! (From Intelligent Life, part of The Economist)
University Endowments with France for the study of Science
The World of French