We are proud to share that the following teachers were featured as presenters at this important professional development event:
- Ottoson French/Spanish Teacher Anne Zachary presented a 60-minute session entitled, "Make an Impression: Enhancing Cultural and Linguistic Proficiency With Art"
- Ottoson Latin Teacher Abbi Holt presented a 60-minute session entitled, "Building the Latin Fandom: A New Way to Cultivate Passionate Students"
- Ottoson Mandarin Teacher Na Lu-Hogan presented a 3-hour workshop entitled, "Immerse Yourself in Chinese: Engaging Strategies to Enhance Mandarin Chinese Proficiency"
- World Language Director Catherine Ritz presented a 60-minute session entitled, "Assessing Performance: Moving from Chapter Tests to Authentic Assessments"
- Along with the world language department chairs from Andover -- Jorge Allen -- and Wellesley -- Tim Eagan, World Language Director Catherine Ritz presented a 60-minute session entitled, "MaFLA Model Assessments: Collaborating to Improve Instruction"
Here are some other highlights of our time at ACTFL:
- AHS Mandarin Teacher Konwen Yuen attended a session called "Advanced Level Proficiency Gains: Classroom Practices that Work," which examined classroom instructional practices that facilitated proficiency gains to bring participants to high level proficiency.
- OMS Latin Teacher Abbi Holt attended a session called "Party Like It’s MMXVI: The Fun and the Fruit of 21st-Century Latin Teaching," which she said was by one of the best Latin presenters she saw. His spoken Latin was excellent and he did a great job explaining the active spoken techniques he uses.
- A number of teachers were able to attend a workshop or a session by Greg Duncan, who came to do an in-service training for Arlington teachers last year. They appreciated being able to follow up with him now that they've had a year of implementing some of his strategies.
- AHS French Teacher Véronique Lahey ran into a former student of hers and AHS graduate, Danny Chin. Danny is now teaching French in Malden.
- WL Director Catherine Ritz -- who is currently serving as the President of the Massachusetts Foreign Language Association (MaFLA) -- was nominated to move into the role of MaFLA Programming Coordinator beginning in January, 2017. In this volunteer role, Catherine will coordinate all the professional development events that MaFLA runs annually.
|OMS Latin Teacher Abbi Holt teaching other teachers gladiator wars during her session.|
|AHS French Teacher Véronique Lahey (right) with her former student, Danny Chin, who is now a French teacher himself|
|AHS Spanish Teacher Maria Arévalo (left) and OMS Mandarin Teacher Na Lu-Hogan (right) with our favorite presenter and world language guru, Greg Duncan|
|OMS Spanish Teacher Meagan Hyman (left), AHS Spanish Teacher Christina Toro (center), and WL Director Catherine Ritz (right) check out the ACTFL Exhibit Hall|
|Standing room only at WL Director Catherine Ritz's session on Assessment|
|OMS French Teacher Anne Zachary presenting on using Art in the classroom|
|AHS Spanish Teachers Emmy Osterling (left) and Katia Marticorena (center) and WL Director Catherine Ritz|
|OMS French Teachers Anne Zachary and Paula Nicholas (left) with AHS Spanish Teacher Maria Arévalo (center right) and WL Director Catherine Ritz|
|AHS Spanish Teachers Emmy Osterling (left) and Katia Marticorena (right) attend a workshop along with MaFLA Events Coordinator Joyce Beckwith|
|MaFLA President Elect Tim Eagan of Wellesley Public School and MaFLA President Catherine Ritz attend the ACTFL Awards Ceremony|
|MaFLA 1st Vice President Kathy Turner (left) of Sharon High School and MaFLA President and WL Director in Arlington Catherine Ritz (right) meet with ACTFL's Executive Director Marty Abbott (center) at the ACTFL 50th Anniversary Dinner|