Monday, May 18, 2015

AEF Continuing Scholar Award for Travel to Cuba

Ottoson Spanish teacher, Tara Kfoury, was recently awarded the Arlington Education Foundation's Continuing Scholar Award in the amount of $2,500 for her plans to travel to Cuba this summer.

Here is an excerpt from her grant application. We wish her ¡un buen viaje!

"This December, I have become aware of an amazing opportunity to learn firsthand from within the country's borders about Cuba. As described within my proposal, I will have the ability to speak with Cuban educators, politicians, historians, and everyday Cuban citizens alongside educators throughout the United States.  I will develop a photo journal, written memoir, and create portfolio of important documents that will enhance my teaching of this illusive and isolated neighbor to the south.  I will provide my colleagues at APS with an opportunity to view and discuss all that I will have learned from this experience both during department, faculty, and professional development meetings during the 2015 school year.  I will prepare to present a demonstration to the AEF board and its members alongside School Committee if desired.  

This opportunity could not have come at a more momentous time in US-Cuban History, as our current presidential staff and the Castro regime work to form a renewed alliance after more than 50 years. As a life-long learner, Spanish speaker and teacher, I am beyond excited with such developments.  The opportunity to study in Cuba would fulfill a dream I have had since learning its history in the 5th grade of my education."

No comments:

Post a Comment