Monday, June 17, 2013

National World Language Honor Society Induction

On Thursday night, the National Honor Society held its annual induction ceremony. But this year, there were four new Honor Societies in the mix... the Société Honoraire de Français, the National Chinese Honor Society, the National Latin Honor Society, and the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica. These four societies comprise the National World Language Honor Societies of Arlington High School, and we are proud to have inducted 46 students in our first year.

Following are the students who demonstrated a commitment to academics, a commitment to language studies, and a commitment to their language outside of the classroom:

Société Honoraire de Français

BERNARDIN Brooke
BLANAS Zaharoula
CALI Maria
CARTER Catherine Rose
DOMENICHELLA Madeline
HARDCASTLE Margot
JACKSON Morgan
KLEPPNER Hannah
KUPER Emma
McKAY Grace
McKAY Parker
MOJAHED Victoria
NAHN Gabriel
ROSS-CALLAHAN Tess
SULLIVAN Julia
THOMAS Melissa
VERGHESE Isabel
WOOD Julia



National Chinese Honor Society
LIU Tianna
RAB Connie
WANG Kevin
YANG Xiuyi Alexander
YU Caroline

National Latin Honor Society

AMMONDSON John
CAMPBELL Devon
DALEY Devlin
DENNING Sarah
FLESCH Daniel
HANSON Sam Wallach
KELLY Michaela
KOGA Sayaka
MALIN Jacob
OUELLETTE Meghan

Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica

DAUM Sarah
DESJARDINS Dylan
DOHERTY Kathleen
HART Danielle
MALIN Jacob
MINNITI Molly
O'BRIEN John
PACHECO Amanda
PARSONS Bennett
POOR Eliza
PRATT Roderick
QUINTO Laura
TAI Erika 

Among these 46 students, one student -- Jacob Malin -- was inducted into two Honor Societies, the National Latin Honor Society and the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica. His speech follows:

"There are many reasons why learning languages is important. A foreign language can help to us to communicate, understand other cultures, and make new friends. But the primary reason I learn foreign languages is because it is fun. I’ve always loved languages and words, since I was very young. I was first introduced to learning a language other than English in elementary school by Señorita Foley and her Spanish-speaking puppet. I adored learning the little Spanish we were taught and was saddened when the Spanish program was cut from the elementary schools. In middle school I was eager to begin learning Spanish again. In eighth grade, Ms. Miville encouraged her students to try to actually communicate in Spanish, and we undertook activities involving the whole school such as a Spanish restaurant night and a Spanish marketplace. In high school, I continued to learn Spanish with Mr. Eladhari and Ms. Robinson. I’ve learned to take risks in speaking a language even if my grammar isn’t perfect. Though the Spanish language has never failed to interest me, in middle school I envied my many friends who seemed to have so much fun learning Latin. Upon entering high school, I was determined to begin learning Latin as well, and studied over the summer to catch up to the honors level. I was fortunate enough to have great teachers to help me, and in the past two years, I have even been lucky to study with the wonderful, fun-loving Latin teacher whom middle school students so long adored, Mr. Foley. Going to his class is always a pleasure, because everybody enjoys being there, which is not true of all high-school classes. I’ve never regretted taking two languages, and I look forward to becoming more fluent, traveling to places where I can use them, meeting new people, and enjoying works of literature in their original languages. I’d even be happy to take up another new language. Important research and studies, interesting essays, and other sources present many reasons to study foreign languages. As high school students, we all know that studying foreign languages has helped us even in English class and on standardized tests. But we should not underestimate the importance of enjoying learning. And one more reason to study foreign languages – never be in a position where you are forced to use a phrasebook and say “My hovercraft is full of eels.” Ask a Monty Python fan."

No comments:

Post a Comment